• History


  • 1245.jpg

  • The name Humboldt was approved in 1875 for a site in the North West Territories along the Canadian Pacific Telegraph Line of 1876 to Eastern Canada via Fort Pelly/ Swan River.

    The Humboldt Telegraph Station was built in 1878 by lineman George Weldon eight kilometers south of the city. George's wife Catherine was one of the first female telegraph operators in Western Canada. The station was located alongside the prominent Carlton Trail which branched west to Clarke's Crossing  or north to Batoche.

    The Humboldt telegraph station played a pivitol role in the 1885 Uprising of Louis Reil and the Metis. General Middleton and his troops stopped in Humboldt in 1885, after marching from Fort Qu'Appelle, en route to Batoche. Colonel Denison and his troops arrived at the Humboldt Telegraph Station on May 1, 1885. Denison fortified the site by digging an extensive series of trenches that his troops called 'Fort Denison'. With the battle raging between the Metis and the Dominion government, Denison notes 'that Humboldt became the end of the telegraph line'. The line further west was routinely cut  to hamper communications. Humboldt became an important communication link and military site for Prime Minister John A. MacDonald and his forces in the west.

    By the early 1900's, settlers were arriving in the area and the name Humboldt was transferred to the emerging settlement. The name honored Baron Alexander Von Humboldt, born in Prussia in 1769. Humboldt was a famous scientist, explorer and author whose work in South and Central America influenced Charles Darwin.

    By 1903, the establishment of St. Peter's Colony by the Benedictine monks and the marketing by the German American Land Company attracted many settlers to homestead in the area, including numerous German Catholics from the United States.

    The Canadian Northern Railway arrived in September 1904, providing an essential transportation route to the new community.In May 1905, the first passenger train arrived and the district flourished. In June 1905, the village of Humboldt was incorporated. The community continued to grow to over 400 people, thus becoming a town on April 1, 1907. On November 7, 2000 Humboldt was declared Saskatchewan's thirteenth city.


  • For more information about other communities in our region please click on the links below.


  • Bruno, Saskatchewan

     Town of Bruno

  • Englefeld, Saskatchewan

     Town of Englefeld

  • Lanigan, Saskatchewan

     Town of Lanigan

  • Leroy, Saskatchewan

     Town of Leroy

  • Watson, Saskatchewan

     Town of Watson